Sunday, May 1, 2011

Walking for Cancer (I miss you Grandma)

Yesterday I walked around NYC in support of the eradication of cancer via the EIF Revlon Run/Walk for Women's Cancers 2011.  I wouldn't have known about this wonderful effort, if I hadn't been informed by new colleague, Makeda Campbell of Immaculate Enterprises. http://www.immaculate-enterprises.com/eifrevlonwalkrun.htm

This debilitating, life threatening disease is one which my own maternal grandmother died of a few years back, robbing me of the relationship I always wanted to have with her and thought I still had time to cultivate.  When Mom told me she'd been diagnosed and the doctors only gave her a short while longer to live, I jumped on a plane and went to see her.  Our relationship wasn't a close one, but I still loved her.  She gave birth to Mom, so how could I not love her too?

Mom quit her job to go help take care of Grandma in her final six months of life.  If I had been able, I would've moved close by to help out too, but as life would have it, that wasn't a feasible option for me and I was only able to emotionally support my family. I don't know if I did a good job with the emotional support or not, but as God is my witness, I tried.

When I arrived, I was terrified to go in the room and see her.  What would I say after hello?  She also had dementia.  Would she even know who I was?  In the end, I went into her room, gave her a kiss and a gentle hug.  She was so happy to see me and although she couldn't speak that well because of a stroke she'd had, I could hear and see how happy she was to see me.  We talked about my son, her only great-grandchild through Mom, and she showed me pictures of us that Mom had given her.  I was slightly surprised and a little ashamed that I hadn't thought to send her pics on my own.  I ended up staying in her room for a while;  we watched her favorite TV comedy and did lots of laughing. 

I will never forget the time I spent bonding with Grandma and I don't regret the relationship not being more than what it was.  Instead of beating myself up, I'm just happy I made it in time to be the granddaughter I always wanted to be. 

2 comments:

  1. Repost from Facebook:

    Cheryl Brown
    On April 12th I lost someone I truly loved. His name was "Teddy" He was diagnosed w/ stage 4 colon cancer in Jan. 2010. I am so happy we had almost 3 yrs together. We had talked about marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our everyday lives we have the power to cause a change. This walk was such an awesome display of love and compassion. It seemed like millions of people came out to support this cause. I know if my father was still living he would have been grateful to us all for the love and support. Making a difference can sometimes be a short walk away. Moya, I thank you on behalf of myself and all other cancer survivors. Thank you for giving me the oppotunity to participate. May God bless you and your organization always.

    ReplyDelete